Clinical and epidemiological analysis of human dirofilariasis cases in the Astrakhan Region
Diagnosis of dirofilariasis remains an urgent problem in Russia.
The aim of the study is to analyze the clinical and epidemic features of human dirofilariasis in the Astrakhan Region for the period 2000-2019.
Material and methods. The case histories of 41 patients with confirmed dirofilariasis were analyzed. The analysis of clinical and epidemiological manifestations of parasitosis in the Astrakhan Region for the period 2000-2019 was carried out. An extensive indicator was calculated.
Results. Dirofilariasis was detected in patients aged 6 to 68 years. The share of children accounted for 9.8% (n=4). The share of the adult population was 90.2% (n=37).
The parasite was localized both in the eye area and outside it. Ocular dirofilariasis accounted for 43.9% of cases (n=18) with localization directly in the eye area - 33.3% (n=6) and in the eyelid area - 66.7% (n=12).
Clinically, the disease was manifested by hyperemia and edema of the affected area of the skin - 90.2% (n=37), pain at the site of localization of the parasite - 43.9% (n=18), itching - 31.7% (n=13), feeling of a foreign body in the eye - 14.6% (n=6). 85.4% (n=35) reported a feeling of stirring under the skin.
When seeking primary medical care, the following diagnoses were established: atheroma - 14.6% (n=6), allergic edema of the eye, varicose veins of the lower extremities, dracunculosis, neoplasm, parasitic cyst of the abdomen - 2.4% (single cases), foreign body of the eye, furuncle - 4.9% (2 cases), lipoma - 24.4% (n=10). The primary diagnosis of dirofilariasis was made in 39.0% of cases (n=16).
The parasites were surgically removed and their size varied from 50 to 150 mm. After surgical removal of the nematode, the prognosis of the disease is favorable in all cases.
Conclusion. The problem of dirofilariasis caused by parasitism in humans D. repens remains relevant at the present time. The disease affects people of various ages and professions. Despite the increase in the number of cases of human infection with dirofilariae in Russia, in the Astrakhan region since 2005, there has been a tendency to reduce the number of detected patients. Detection of dirofilaria the man in the winter season evidence investirovanii in the summer-autumn period.
Keywords:dirofilariasis, parasite migration under the skin, atheroma, blood-sucking mosquitoes, hyperemia and edema
Funding. The study had no sponsor support.
Conflict of interests. The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
Contributions. Research concept and design - Okunskaya E.I.; material collection and processing - Arakelyan R.S.; statistical processing - Irdeeva V.A.; text writing - Arakelyan R.S., Galimzyanov Kh.M.; editing - Shendo G.L.
For citation: Arakelyan R.S., Okunskaya E.I., Irdeeva V.A., Galimzyanov Kh.M., Shendo G.L. Clinical and epidemiological analysis of human dirofilariasis cases in the Astrakhan Region. Infektsionnye bolezni: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie [Infectious Diseases: News, Opinions, Training]. 2020; 10 (1): 60-5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33029/2305-3496-2021-10-1-60-65 (in Russian)
1. Bedlinskaya N.R., Galimzyanov H.M., Lazareva E.N., Goreva O.N., Babayeva M.A. The role of antihypoxant therapy in the correction of hemo-coagulation disorders in patients with Astrakhan ricketsiosis fever. Astra-khanskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal [Astrakhan Medical Journal]. 2016; 11 (1): 72-80. (in Russian)
2. Mirekina E.V., Galimzyanov H.M., Bedlinskaya N.R. The role of an imbalance of the oxidant-antioxidant system in the development of hemo-coagulation disorders in certain infectious diseases. Astrakhanskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal [Astrakhan Medical Journal]. 2017; 12 (2): 15-22. (in Russian)
3. Arakelyan R.S., Galimzyanov H.M., Arakelyan A.S. Dirofilariosis in the Astrakhan region: the current state of the problem. Aktual’naya infektologiya [Current Infectology]. 2014; 4 (5): 81-5. (in Russian)
4. Kondratyuk V.D., Zhukova A.A., Smirnova S.N., Lyashchenko O.I., Kutya S.A. Human dirofi lariosis. In: XIII Regional festival «Young Scientists -Development of the Ivanovo Region». Materials of the III all-Russian educational and scientific conference of students and young scientists with international participation. Ivanovo, 2017: 65-6. (in Russian)
5. Knyazyuk А.С. Case of dirofilariasis in urological practice. Problemy zdorov’ya i ekologii [Problems of Health and Ecology]. 2016; 2 (48): 95-9. (in Russian)
6. Mitsura V.M., Butenkova E.M., Achinovich S.L., Knyazyuk A.S. Yurkovsky A.M., Kotovich V.O., et al. Human dirofilariosis in the Gomel region. Klinicheskaya infektologiya i parazitologiya [Clinical Infectology and Parasitology]. 2017; (1): 99-108. (in Russian)
7. Zumbulidze N.G., Hokkanen V.M., Kasymov F.O. Dirofilariosis of the visual organ in the zone of moderate climate. Vestnik Severo-Zapadnovgo gosudarstvennovo meditsinskogo universiteta imeni I.I. Mechnikova [Bulletin of the North-West State Medical University Named after I.I. Mech-nikov]. 2017; 9 (2): 125-30. (in Russian)
8. Arkhipov I.A., Arkhipova D.R. Dirofilariosis. Moscow, 2004: 194 p. (in Russian)